MUCA Member Update
The WHY of PAC Contributions
Many organizations form Political Action Committees (PAC’s) and they play a key part in influencing the outcome of elections and the legislative process as well as building relationships with decision makers. So how can you help MUCA have a bigger more powerful voice?
What is a PAC?
PACs are organizations that obtain contributions from individuals and distribute donations to candidates for political office, promote/defeat legislation, or support/oppose a ballot question.
Do you know why you can't buy liquor on Sunday? It’s because of a small group of Mom & Pop liquor stores gathered together, pooled their resources, and then canvassed the state meeting with legislators in every district and telling them what a burden having a liquor store open 7 days a week would be (even though no law would force them to open on Sundays). Oh… they also donated money to those legislators that favored their position. The result: They won!
The primaries are over; the candidates for November are set. As these last two legislative sessions have proven, our representatives continue to be in a stalemate when it comes to funding necessary infrastructure and transportation projects. Projects that keep MUCA Members working and employing others! This isn’t a ‘Red or Blue’ issue, this is not political – it’s business!
Like the Mom & Pop liquor stores, if MUCA wants to be successful at the Capitol, we have to show up!
- We must contribute our time through visits in your district with your legislators.
- We must educate legislators on the important work we do and how their decisions directly affect your business!
- We must contribute to the MUCA PAC to support those who favor the funding necessary to keep our businesses thriving.
- We must show up en-masse at MUCA’s Day at the Capitol every year!
Please contact Stephanie to arrange a visit with your representatives, or if you are familiar with them, schedule a site visit and invite MUCA along for a photo opportunity and a PAC donation. I guarantee you they will remember who you are when the time comes!
Breakfast Briefing: 2016 Wage and Hour Update
Hosted by Seaton | Peters | Revnew
Crowne Plaza Bloomington MSP Airport/MOA
5401 Green Valley Drive, Bloomington, 55437
Thursday, September 29, 7:30 AM – 9:30 PM
Join Seaton|Peters|Revnew Attorney Greg Peters to discuss the following hour and wage topics:
- New Overtime Regulations
- Mandatory Overtime and the FMLA
- DOL Civil Penalty Increases
- Important Upcoming Wage and Hour Changes:
- Minimum Wage Increase
- EEO-1 Pay Data Collection
- Mandatory Paid Sick Leave
- 2016 Case Law Update
Cost is $25 per attendee. For more information and to register, please click here or call us at (952) 896-1700.
Minnesota Joint Disparity Study Public Forum!
Minneapolis Central Library, Doty Board Room
300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis 55401
Wednesday, August 31, 3-7 PM
The State of Minnesota, with its eight local government partners, is conducting a disparity study to determine whether there is a level playing field for minority-and women-owned firms in the local marketplace. Part of examining the marketplace conditions is getting information from you-whether you are a vendor, an interested organization, or a community member.
Partners of the study include the Department of Administration, MnDOT, Met Council, Metropolitan Airports Commission, the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and Hennepin County.
This is your change to have your voice heard! Contact email@example.com with questions, or visit the 2017 Minnesota Joint Disparity Study website.
Call For Ads And Articles
The fall edition of the Underground Press magazine is in the works and we want you to be a part of the story! Here’s how:
- Advertise! Promote your products and services.
- Share Your Wisdom! Submit an article on an industry topic, a regulatory compliance issue, or a best practice in safety & training.
- Schedule a Site Visit! We’d love to highlight your company’s project or successful solution to a challenging problem. Contact Stephanie for a visit at (651) 735-3908.
Visit MUCA’s website to sign up for advertising or submit an article.
Mark Your Calendars!
Don't forget these upcoming events!
- Day of the Dozers, September 24 – Register Here
- Clay Shoot Classic Tournament, October 7 – Register Here
- Pipelayers Certification Training — Register for the Online Pipe Layers Certification course — available 365 days, 24/7
Stephanie Menning, Executive Director
Phone: 651-735-3908 | Fax: 651-290-2266 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org